Records of Megachile sculpturalis?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      Does anyone have access to museum records documenting the first specimen of Megachile sculpturalis caught in North America.  What is the month and year?  Where was its caught?  This species is now in St. Louis, Missouri but I was under the impressions it first appear somewhere on the east coast.  Youtube videos indicate it's in Toronto, Canada, and some people like to raise it.  See the following link. Would you let this "friendly" bee sit on your hand?

      Peter Bernhardt
    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013

        Peter and others- here are the papers likely to answer your questions.  If you need more, Dr. Mangum could answer if anyone could.

        yours

        Jim

        Literature Cited

        BATRA, S. W. T. 1998. Biology of the giant resin bee, Megachile sculpturalis Smith, a conspicuous new immigrant in Maryland. The Maryland Naturalist 42: 1-3.

        MANGUM, W. A. AND R. W. BROOKS. 1997. First records of Megachile (Callomegachile) sculpturalis Smith (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) in the continental United States. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 70: 140-142.

        MANGUM, W. A. AND S. SUMNER. 2003. A survey of the North American range of Megachile (Callomegachile) sculpturalis, an adventive species in North America. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 76: 658-662.

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

        Gardening for Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

      • J. C. Lucier
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          First detected in North America in North Carolina in 1994 (Mangum and Brooks, 1997). First observed in Canada (Ontario) in 2002 (Mangum and Sumner, 2003; Paiero and Buck, 2004), and recently collected in Quebec (Gibbs and Sheffield, 2009).
        • <barbara.abraham@...>
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013

            I would not let it sit on my hand, because those I have captured have threatened with their mandibles, and those are formidable!!

            Barb

            Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

            Associate Professor

            SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor