Bombus ID

  • Rykken, Jessica
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi, I'm hoping to confirm an ID of a bumble bee photo on a Flickr site.

      The photo can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitkaphotogirl/3809077249/sizes/l/in/photostream/

      My best guess is Bombus vosnesenskii, but I want to be pretty sure.  Can anyone confirm my id, or offer an alternative? I think the photo was taken somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

      Thanks for the help.

      Jessica

      Jessica Rykken
      Research Associate
      Museum of Comparative Zoology
      Harvard University
      26 Oxford St.
      Cambridge, MA 02138
      phone:  617-496-1221 or 413-665-0412
      fax:  617-495-5667

    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
        On 3/27/13 10:39 AM, Rykken, Jessica wrote:

        Hi, I'm hoping to confirm an ID of a bumble bee photo on a Flickr site.

        The photo can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitkaphotogirl/3809077249/sizes/l/in/photostream/

        My best guess is Bombus vosnesenskii, but I want to be pretty sure.  Can anyone confirm my id, or offer an alternative? I think the photo was taken somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
        I don't think one can rule out B. caliginosus; in fact, the pubescence seems a little long and wispy for vosnesenskii, but would be consistent with caliginosus.
      • Rykken, Jessica
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
          Earlier this afternoon I posted a photo of a bumble bee for ID, and there is some question as to whether it is B. vosnesenskii or B. caliginosus.  I've been able to make contact with the photographer and found out she took the photo in her garden at the southern end of Puget Sound in Washington (so, sea level).  Does this help?

          Here is the photo again:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitkaphotogirl/3809077249/sizes/l/in/photostream/

          Thanks again.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013

            Hi Jessica;

            I'm an interested amateur......I put a key together for bumblebees in Washington state from the information I could find, and here's what it says for
            vosnesenskii and caliginosus.  You picked a tough pair to parse.

            These last two species prove to be almost impossible to tell apart; the distinction is made by the length of the ‘cheek’ relative to its width, which is explained in Bumblebees of the Western United States.  Note they are both coastal species.
            31A. Cheeks usually longer than broad……B. caliginosus—Dark BB (coastal, not in the Methow, head & face yellow, scutum yellow, alar region black, scutellum black, T1-T3 black, T4 yellow, T5-6 black, cheeks as long as broad, side of thorax predominately black, easily confused with B. vosnesenskii & B. vandykei).
            31B. Cheeks as broad as long….B. vosnesenskii—Yellow-faced BB (coastal, not in Methow, face and head yellow, scutum yellow, alar region black, scutellum black, T1-3 black, T4 yellow, T5-6 black, cheek as long as broad, side of thorax predominately black, easily confused with B. calinginosus & vandykei—for an image of vosnesenskii see calinginosus)

            While I'm at it, I was delighted to see my first wild bee yesterday, on our earliest wildflower, Ranunculus glaberrimus, sagebrush butterup.  Looks like it's keying to Halictus....the terga are fringed with hairs.

            There's no key to western Halictus species available is there, short of driving to Ogden?

            Dana Visalli

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
              On 3/27/13 2:24 PM, Dana Visalli wrote:

              While I'm at it, I was delighted to see my first wild bee yesterday, on our earliest wildflower, Ranunculus glaberrimus, sagebrush butterup.  Looks like it's keying to Halictus....the terga are fringed with hairs.

              There's no key to western Halictus species available is there, short of driving to Ogden?

              The bee in that photo looks much more like a male Andrena. The head is large, entirely dark, and the abdominal bands look to be thin and non-appressed. There are very few west coast Halictus species, all fairly easily told apart; ligatus, farinosus, and rubicundus are the only non-metallic species.

              Peace,
            • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
                Well, on the note of seeing one's first native bees...

                Besides several bumble bees including Bombus melanopygus, I've seen my first Andrena males in my area of southern Vancouver Island this past weekend. I saw my first Osmia lignaria propinqua male on Feb. 23rd for what it's worth.

                Gord Hutchings