RE: [beemonitoring] Beetles who make holes for bees +

  • jason graham
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hi Tom,
      Here's a great resource for wood boring beetles:
      http://wbbresource.org/default.asp?action=geographic&id=Nearctic
      Also, check out www.ufnativebuzz.com for a citizen science project focused on tunnel-nesting solitary bees and wasps.
      Best,
      Jason
      Jason R. Graham
      Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
      Department of Entomology and Nematology
      University of Florida
      Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
      PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
      Phone (352) 519-9592
      Fax (352) 392-0190

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: sullivan08@...
      Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:41:13 -0400
      Subject: [beemonitoring] Beetles who make holes for bees +

      Hello Friends,

      I have often read that native bees utilize the holes that beetles make in snags, and other woody stems, etc.. I am not an entomologist, but can anyone direct me to a list of Northeastern U.S. beetles that I can check out?
      It seems we need to know the habitat needs of these critters as well as the bees.

      A second dream list, if I may since I have a talk coming up at an agricultural conference in August, would be a cross reference list of beetles that make holes for bees whose larva do, or do not, eat
      agriculturally significant plants; beans, corn, squash, or beets, etc..

      Thanks so much,
      Tom

      --
      PollinatorsWelcome.com