Beetles who make holes for bees +

  • Tom Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hello Friends,

      I have often read that native bees utilize the holes that beetles make in snags, and other woody stems, etc.. I am not an entomologist, but can anyone direct me to a list of Northeastern U.S. beetles that I can check out?
      It seems we need to know the habitat needs of these critters as well as the bees.

      A second dream list, if I may since I have a talk coming up at an agricultural conference in August, would be a cross reference list of beetles that make holes for bees whose larva do, or do not, eat
      agriculturally significant plants; beans, corn, squash, or beets, etc..

      Thanks so much,
      Tom

      --
      PollinatorsWelcome.com
      Edible Landscape Design

      Thomas G. Sullivan, M.A.L.D.
      Master of Arts in Landscape Design
      413-863-4480 h
      413-325-1769 c

    • jason graham
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013
        Hi Tom,
        Here's a great resource for wood boring beetles:
        http://wbbresource.org/default.asp?action=geographic&id=Nearctic
        Also, check out www.ufnativebuzz.com for a citizen science project focused on tunnel-nesting solitary bees and wasps.
        Best,
        Jason
        Jason R. Graham
        Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
        Department of Entomology and Nematology
        University of Florida
        Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
        PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
        Phone (352) 519-9592
        Fax (352) 392-0190

        To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com