Bees and Climate

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      Would someone recommend a review, or experimental studies, comparing the foraging behavior of large bees (Apis, Anthophora, Bombus, Xylocopa) under different temperature regimes?  I do recall that these studies were popular in the 1950's - 1960's comparing the relative efficiency of different bees as pollinators of certain crops or pasture legumes (clovers or alfalfa).  Apis usually functioned better (tripped more flowers) at certain temperatures compared to Bombus.  What I'd like to know, in particular, is the role seasonal temperatures may play on both density and diversity of natural populations of large bees foraging on the same flower.  If the summer is hot and dry (or cold and wet) who are the "major players" in terms of the frequency of visits to flowers of the same species or cultivar?

      Peter