RE: [BOMBUS-L] Bee Red Lists, Management, Non-natives

  • jason graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi Matthew,
      Thanks for the link, comparing The Xerces Society Red List to everything else that I've found so far, it still seems to be the most comprehensive list of endangered bees for North America. I'm wondering where the data that determined the endangered status for these bees came from. I imagine that they were determined from museum collections which were compared to recent collections or surveys. There seems to be a heavy bias toward the Hawaiian bees (Hyleaus in particular) this may be due to the survey work of Snelling (2003).
      Thanks,
      Jason

      Jason R. Graham
      Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
      Department of Entomology and Nematology
      University of Florida
      Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
      PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
      Phone (352) 519-9592
      Fax (352) 392-0190

      From: mdshepherd@...
      To: jgraham3154@...
      Subject: RE: [BOMBUS-L] Bee Red Lists, Management, Non-natives
      Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 06:30:32 -0700

      Hi Jason,

      Several years ago, we produced a red list of at-risk bees in North America. I know some of it is now out of date, but you may find it of interest. There’s a link to it at http://www.xerces.org/endangered-species/.

      Matthew

      ________

      Matthew Shepherd

      Communications Director

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

      628 NE Broadway, Ste 200, Portland, OR 97232-1324, USA

      mdshepherd@...

      Tel: (503) 232-6639 ext. 110

      Toll free: 1-855-232 6639 ext. 110

      Cell: (503) 807-1577

      Fax: (503) 233-6794

      Stay in touch:

      xerces.org          Facebook          E-newsletter          Twitter

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

      To join the Society, make a donation, or read about our work, please visit www.xerces.org.