RE: [beemonitoring] More bee tips

  • jason graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 8:35 AM
      Happy Spring Everyone!
      Our lab has come up with a pretty good method for non-destructive trap-nesting which we detail on our citizen science web page at
      http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/ellis/nativebuzz/step3.aspx or more easily shared through the link www.UFNativeBuzz.com
      We also have a fairly active online community at www.facebook.com/NBNSProject which I invite you all to join.
      Best wishes for a productive bee-season!
      Jason

      Jason R. Graham
      Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
      Department of Entomology and Nematology
      University of Florida
      Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
      PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
      Phone (352) 519-9592
      Fax (352) 392-0190

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: David_r_smith@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:19:52 -0700
      Subject: [beemonitoring] More bee tips

      To go along with Sam's list:

      if you use whirlpaks to keep samples in from pan trap arrays,
      pre-label them first before going in the field, it'll make running
      your line go a lot faster;

      the wide apperature opening funnels used for adding oil to your car
      engine work good for pouring bees into whirl paks, drying tubes, etc.
      Any auto parts store should have them;

      test your field labels before using them, rub your finger on them to
      make sure the ink doesn't rub off (we barely avoided a disaster a week
      ago);

      if you wash and dry bees, use a good conditioning shampoo (store-brand
      Pert for example). It rinses fast and makes the hairs separate and
      stand up naturally;

      If you use a blow dryer to dry bees be sure to tape the temperature
      control in the cool position, it is easy to slip and end up baking
      bees (if this happens, resoak them in water for a while, that will
      actually rehydrate enough do they aren't too brittle to pin).

      To avoid Dialictus and Perdita, strain your samples through a tennis
      racket (just kidding, seeing if anyone is actually reading these).

      --
      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 10:31 AM
        >if you use whirlpaks to keep samples in from pan trap arrays,
        >pre-label them first before going in the field, it'll make running
        >your line go a lot faster;
        >
        >the wide apperature opening funnels used for adding oil to your car
        >engine work good for pouring bees into whirl paks, drying tubes, etc.
        >Any auto parts store should have them;
        >
        >test your field labels before using them, rub your finger on them to
        >make sure the ink doesn't rub off (we barely avoided a disaster a week
        >ago);

        Two (or all three) of the problems above are avoidable concerns;
        pieces of paper that have been written on with pencil are the best
        possible whirlpak labels (we often get whirlpaks sent to us by
        researchers where some ethanol leaked and obliterated the writing on
        the outside of the bags). Nothing dissolves pencil, and it does not
        rub off easily.

        If the paper you write on is one of those paper paint-straining
        funnels, then everything is even simpler; you pour the trap samples
        thru the filter, write with pencil on the filter itself, then stick
        the filter and its contents into a whirlpak. Done properly, this
        technique can be used to facilitate trap-lining the same set of traps
        over time without having to refill any, or overfilling the whirlpaks
        - run from one end of the trap-line to the other, pouring the liquid
        thru the filter into an empty trap, and using the same filter for the
        same trap each time. We use this procedure when we do BioBlitz
        traplines (the only trick there is that the paint strainers will
        sometimes let Mymarids and Trichogrammatids through).

        Peace,