More bee tips

  • Smith, David
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 8:19 AM
      To go along with Sam's list:

      if you use whirlpaks to keep samples in from pan trap arrays,
      pre-label them first before going in the field, it'll make running
      your line go a lot faster;

      the wide apperature opening funnels used for adding oil to your car
      engine work good for pouring bees into whirl paks, drying tubes, etc.
      Any auto parts store should have them;

      test your field labels before using them, rub your finger on them to
      make sure the ink doesn't rub off (we barely avoided a disaster a week
      ago);

      if you wash and dry bees, use a good conditioning shampoo (store-brand
      Pert for example). It rinses fast and makes the hairs separate and
      stand up naturally;

      If you use a blow dryer to dry bees be sure to tape the temperature
      control in the cool position, it is easy to slip and end up baking
      bees (if this happens, resoak them in water for a while, that will
      actually rehydrate enough do they aren't too brittle to pin).

      To avoid Dialictus and Perdita, strain your samples through a tennis
      racket (just kidding, seeing if anyone is actually reading these).

      --
      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 8:35 AM
        Happy Spring Everyone!
        Our lab has come up with a pretty good method for non-destructive trap-nesting which we detail on our citizen science web page at
        http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/ellis/nativebuzz/step3.aspx or more easily shared through the link www.UFNativeBuzz.com
        We also have a fairly active online community at www.facebook.com/NBNSProject which I invite you all to join.
        Best wishes for a productive bee-season!
        Jason

        Jason R. Graham
        Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
        Department of Entomology and Nematology
        University of Florida
        Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
        PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
        Phone (352) 519-9592
        Fax (352) 392-0190

        To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11 10:31 AM
          >if you use whirlpaks to keep samples in from pan trap arrays,
          >pre-label them first before going in the field, it'll make running
          >your line go a lot faster;
          >
          >the wide apperature opening funnels used for adding oil to your car
          >engine work good for pouring bees into whirl paks, drying tubes, etc.
          >Any auto parts store should have them;
          >
          >test your field labels before using them, rub your finger on them to
          >make sure the ink doesn't rub off (we barely avoided a disaster a week
          >ago);

          Two (or all three) of the problems above are avoidable concerns;
          pieces of paper that have been written on with pencil are the best
          possible whirlpak labels (we often get whirlpaks sent to us by
          researchers where some ethanol leaked and obliterated the writing on
          the outside of the bags). Nothing dissolves pencil, and it does not
          rub off easily.

          If the paper you write on is one of those paper paint-straining
          funnels, then everything is even simpler; you pour the trap samples
          thru the filter, write with pencil on the filter itself, then stick
          the filter and its contents into a whirlpak. Done properly, this
          technique can be used to facilitate trap-lining the same set of traps
          over time without having to refill any, or overfilling the whirlpaks
          - run from one end of the trap-line to the other, pouring the liquid
          thru the filter into an empty trap, and using the same filter for the
          same trap each time. We use this procedure when we do BioBlitz
          traplines (the only trick there is that the paint strainers will
          sometimes let Mymarids and Trichogrammatids through).

          Peace,