Bioblitz near New Orleans (May 17 - 18) seeking insect experts

  • Matthew Shepherd
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 6:28 AM

      I’m just passing along this information. If you have questions, please visit the website below or contact one of the two NPS staff. Thanks.

      Matthew

      The National Geographic Society (NGS) and the National Park Service (NPS) are organizing a BioBlitz at Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve on May 17–18, 2013. We are currently recruiting field biologists, naturalists and taxonomic experts to participate in this wonderful, free, public event that will take place just outside of New Orleans. We hope to finalize the 2013 team this month and would love your help in getting the word out to The Xerces Society.

      A BioBlitz is a unique combination of taxonomic inventory, public outreach, and science education. At its core, Bioblitz is a species inventory in which teams of volunteers, each led by an expert scientist, find, identify, and map as many species as possible within a 24-hour period. While the inventory is not exhaustive, it can nevertheless yield valuable biogeographic information; it raises awareness about biodiversity with the general pubic and school children; and hopefully inspires the next generation of field biologists. The 2013 BioBlitz is the seventh in a ten-year NPS-NGS series in anticipation for the National Park Services’ Centennial in 2016.

      Online scientist registration is now open and we hope to enlist more than 150 scientists/naturalists to lead approximately 2,000–4,000 students and citizen scientists throughout the Barataria Preserve, a beautiful 23,500 acres of coastal wetlands landscape.  To register and for more information about the project go to http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/projects/bioblitz/bioblitz-la-2013-scientist.  Interested scientists/experts can also call either Dr. Catherine Workman at (202) 857-7106 or Dr. Julie Whitbeck at (504) 589-3882 x118.