RE: [beemonitoring] Re: Bees and Roadkill

  • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

      I've seen the early and evening crew of ravens cleaning up roadkill in many places in the north. The majority of specimens were odonata, bumble bees, beetles and large flies, but these volumes changed in the accompanying habitat adjacent to the road such as open field, forest or wetland. Even forest fire areas produced more buprestids than anything else. Of course I collected several specimens and was always surprised at the species I collected on the road when all day I hadn't seen them in their particular habitat.

      Gord Hutchings

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
        >This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in
        >Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in
        >back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.

        I have seen this too with a Mockingbird that had obviously learned to
        watch each car as it came in and that grabbed butterflies off my
        grill before I could even get out of my car. I don't know how one
        would count the bees that ended up this way.

        Liz Day
        Indianapolis, USA