RE: [beemonitoring] Bees and Roadkill

  • Weber, Don
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

      Sam,

      This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.  Many road-killed insects are trapped and killed and carried away on various parts of the car, perhaps fewer, now that they are more streamlined.  You’d have to have two roadblocks to determine how many for a given stretch of road.  Sounds like an experiment in the making.

      DW

      Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist

      USDA Agricultural Research Service

      Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

      Bldg. 011A, Rm. 107, BARC-West Beltsville, MD 20705  USA

      Don.Weber@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
        --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects. Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

        Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

        Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
        Coastal SC
      • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

          I've seen the early and evening crew of ravens cleaning up roadkill in many places in the north. The majority of specimens were odonata, bumble bees, beetles and large flies, but these volumes changed in the accompanying habitat adjacent to the road such as open field, forest or wetland. Even forest fire areas produced more buprestids than anything else. Of course I collected several specimens and was always surprised at the species I collected on the road when all day I hadn't seen them in their particular habitat.

          Gord Hutchings

          > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects.
          Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

          Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

          Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
          Coastal SC

        • Liz Day
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
            >This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in
            >Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in
            >back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.

            I have seen this too with a Mockingbird that had obviously learned to
            watch each car as it came in and that grabbed butterflies off my
            grill before I could even get out of my car. I don't know how one
            would count the bees that ended up this way.

            Liz Day
            Indianapolis, USA