Re: [beemonitoring] Bees and Roadkill

  • kimberly huntzinger
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
      I've been wondering about bumble bee kill along bike paths due to those pesky cyclists ;-) because I have noticed quite a few dead bumbles when I run those same paths.  Runners aren't going fast enough to mortally injure the bees that hit us, plus we are softer than bikers (especially lacking is the helmet)...and sweeter...at least I am, I say sorry to the bees that I accidentally bumb into.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:29 AM, "Droege, Sam" <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      I just came across a small study of road-killed insects in Japan:

      While I think there are some possible errors in their calculations of mortality/ km  (they estimate 5000+ insects per KM, but don't account for days not sampled or loss due to scavenging, capture by car, size of insect, or non-detectability by observer)  it none the less documents that many more insects are killed along roads than I would have expected.

      This study documented only moderate numbers of Hymenoptera in their totals, but their citations indicate that Hymenoptera can make up much larger portions depending on the habitat along the road.

      This study is also intriguing in that the researchers simply walked along the edge of the road and picked up dead insects...which I would have thought would have been difficult to do (and probably represents a gross underestimate of the real kill).

      I think that similar projects would make wonderful student projects, but suggest the following:

      Address the scavenging loss by using marked or known dead insects in sections of roads.

      Address detection rates by having 1 observer seed an area with dead insects and having another count them, using several size classes.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      A little road not made of man,
      Enabled of the eye,
      Accessible to thill of bee,
      Or cart of butterfly.

      If town it have, beyond itself,
      'T is that I cannot say;
      I only sigh,--no vehicle
      Bears me along that way.
        --Dickinson

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      蜂はオプションではありません

    • Weber, Don
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

        Sam,

        This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.  Many road-killed insects are trapped and killed and carried away on various parts of the car, perhaps fewer, now that they are more streamlined.  You’d have to have two roadblocks to determine how many for a given stretch of road.  Sounds like an experiment in the making.

        DW

        Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist

        USDA Agricultural Research Service

        Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

        Bldg. 011A, Rm. 107, BARC-West Beltsville, MD 20705  USA

        Don.Weber@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
          --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

          > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects. Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

          Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

          Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
          Coastal SC
        • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

            I've seen the early and evening crew of ravens cleaning up roadkill in many places in the north. The majority of specimens were odonata, bumble bees, beetles and large flies, but these volumes changed in the accompanying habitat adjacent to the road such as open field, forest or wetland. Even forest fire areas produced more buprestids than anything else. Of course I collected several specimens and was always surprised at the species I collected on the road when all day I hadn't seen them in their particular habitat.

            Gord Hutchings

            > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects.
            Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

            Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

            Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
            Coastal SC

          • Liz Day
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
              >This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in
              >Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in
              >back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.

              I have seen this too with a Mockingbird that had obviously learned to
              watch each car as it came in and that grabbed butterflies off my
              grill before I could even get out of my car. I don't know how one
              would count the bees that ended up this way.

              Liz Day
              Indianapolis, USA