Bees and Roadkill

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

      I just came across a small study of road-killed insects in Japan:

      While I think there are some possible errors in their calculations of mortality/ km  (they estimate 5000+ insects per KM, but don't account for days not sampled or loss due to scavenging, capture by car, size of insect, or non-detectability by observer)  it none the less documents that many more insects are killed along roads than I would have expected.

      This study documented only moderate numbers of Hymenoptera in their totals, but their citations indicate that Hymenoptera can make up much larger portions depending on the habitat along the road.

      This study is also intriguing in that the researchers simply walked along the edge of the road and picked up dead insects...which I would have thought would have been difficult to do (and probably represents a gross underestimate of the real kill).

      I think that similar projects would make wonderful student projects, but suggest the following:

      Address the scavenging loss by using marked or known dead insects in sections of roads.

      Address detection rates by having 1 observer seed an area with dead insects and having another count them, using several size classes.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      A little road not made of man,
      Enabled of the eye,
      Accessible to thill of bee,
      Or cart of butterfly.

      If town it have, beyond itself,
      'T is that I cannot say;
      I only sigh,--no vehicle
      Bears me along that way.
        --Dickinson

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      蜂はオプションではありません
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
        Or put huge sticky-trap panels on some vehicles and extrapolate from there.

        I've always found the number of 20 million leps in one week just in the state of Illinois in this article, cited in the one that you sent, to be incredible if tney are anywhere near the ballpark with their extrapolations.
        http://images.peabody.yale.edu/lepsoc/jls/2000s/2001/2001-55(2)63-McKenna.pdf

        To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        From: sdroege@...
        Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:29:13 -0500
        Subject: [beemonitoring] Bees and Roadkill

        All:

      • <barbara.abraham@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

          Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects. Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill – most large female acridids had a scavenger!

          Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

          Associate Professor

          SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

          Department of Biological Sciences

          Hampton University

          Hampton, VA  23668

          757-727-5283

          barbara.abraham@...

[...]

        • kimberly huntzinger

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

              Sam,

              This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.  Many road-killed insects are trapped and killed and carried away on various parts of the car, perhaps fewer, now that they are more streamlined.  You’d have to have two roadblocks to determine how many for a given stretch of road.  Sounds like an experiment in the making.

              DW

              Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist

              USDA Agricultural Research Service

              Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

              Bldg. 011A, Rm. 107, BARC-West Beltsville, MD 20705  USA

              Don.Weber@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
                --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects. Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

                Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

                Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
                Coastal SC
              • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013

                  I've seen the early and evening crew of ravens cleaning up roadkill in many places in the north. The majority of specimens were odonata, bumble bees, beetles and large flies, but these volumes changed in the accompanying habitat adjacent to the road such as open field, forest or wetland. Even forest fire areas produced more buprestids than anything else. Of course I collected several specimens and was always surprised at the species I collected on the road when all day I hadn't seen them in their particular habitat.

                  Gord Hutchings

                  > Another source of error is scavenging on dead insects.
                  Once I was driving down a gravel road in Iowa and noticed tettigoniid grasshoppers (mainly Orchelimum vulgare, which I was studying) feasting on acridid roadkill â€" most large female acridids had a scavenger!

                  Fire ants will quickly dispose of dead insects in the South of the US.

                  Dave Green, Ret. pollination contractor
                  Coastal SC

                • Liz Day
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
                    >This recalls when I observed house sparrows in a parking lot in
                    >Gatlinburg Tennessee years ago, hopping up onto car radiators in
                    >back of their front grills, scavenging dead insects.

                    I have seen this too with a Mockingbird that had obviously learned to
                    watch each car as it came in and that grabbed butterflies off my
                    grill before I could even get out of my car. I don't know how one
                    would count the bees that ended up this way.

                    Liz Day
                    Indianapolis, USA