Routes of Pesticide Intoxication for Honeybees

  • Greenstone, Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2013

      Dear Bee Folk,

      Karen McCormack of US EPA has been asked whether honey bees can inhale pesticides from dust particles (see below). My initial guess is that it would take a pretty tiny particle to make much progress through the tracheal system, but that’s a very uneducated guess.

      This inspires another question: what are the routes by which honey bees could become intoxicated by pesticides?

      Thanks for any help you can provide to Dr. McCormack.

      Matt Greenstone

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      I was asked whether honey bees could inhale pesticides in dust particles. From your research, would you be able to tell if this is possible? Karen McCormack,

      Karen McCormack
      US Environmental Protection Agency
      Washington, D.C. 20460
      703-308-1835
      mccormack.karen@...

      Matthew H. Greenstone, Research Entomologist

      Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

      Room 214, B-011A, BARC-West

      10300 Baltimore Avenue Beltsville, Maryland 20705 USA

      Tel: 301 504 5139; Fax: 301 504 5104

      Webpage: http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=33981

      “Do good work!”

      - Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom