Re: [beemonitoring] Bees and Fracking

  • Gretchen LeBuhn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
      I jumped the gun - Angel didn't want her contact info out there.  Please contact Sue Heavenrich if you are interested.

      Gretchen

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM, Droege, Sam <sdroege@...> wrote:

      Gretchen LeBuhn is passing this along from an email that she received as possible interest.  Not sure what the mechanism is here, but others may have some observations.

      Hi Gretchen,

      I am working on an article for Organic Gardening Magazine about the problems of fracking on farms/gardens. Yesterday I was interviewing a gardener in PA and she said that often there is methane in the air in their neighborhood - there are numerous storage wells and compressor station.
      Last year she noticed dead "bumblebees" on her porch. I think she means carpenter bees; she said they bored holes in wood. Also dead "little brown birds". She thinks the methane and VOC's are harming the insects.

      I would be very interested in working with anyone on this issue. Esp. as they are drilling in agricultural areas!
      if you know of any research or anyone studying this, can you put me in touch with them (and also pass on Angel's contact info).
      Angel gave me permission to send you her contact info - hopes she can help scientists with this.

      thanks,
      Sue Heavenrich

      Bees are Not Optional

      --
      Gretchen LeBuhn

      Professor, San Francisco State and
      Executive Director, Great Sunflower Project