Raising native bees in lab/greenhouse

  • David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm considering capturing native bees (most likely Lasioglossum, Agapostemon) and rearing them for about 1-2 weeks and standardizing their diet prior to an experiment. I'd like to keep them alive long enough to compare pollination efficiency between honey bees and multiple sweat bees. This study would be in a caged setting in the greenhouse.

      Has anyone had success capturing sweat bees and rearing them? Would they survive in an aquarium with soil and sugar solution or fresh flowers for about a week?

      Thanks,
      David Lowenstein
      PhD Student
      Department of Biological Sciences