New Video on how to Photoshop Digital Photographs of Insect Specimens

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013

      We have been working with a lot of digital images of insect specimens and a big part of getting efficient at producing good quality digital pictures was learning some of the Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop tricks.

      Here is a video that presents what we have learned and demonstrates how we process our photostacked specimens to increase their quality for inclusion in talks, posters, pictures, and as graphical images to imbed elsewhere.  So, in other words we take it one step further than strictly a documentation of what the camera settings are during the shoot and what the specimen looks like on a pin.  For some, this is excess, and, perhaps even indigenous to the extent that we alter settings, sharpen the picture, and remove the impact of the pin on the specimen where appropriate...for others it may be useful if your end product is more about an accurate, but also appealing photo.

      The video is here:

      Our Yourtube station is here:

      Our photographs (all creative commons) are here:

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      On the faint wind floated the silky seeds,
      As the bright scythe swept through the waving grass,
      The ousel-cock splashed circles in the reeds
      And flecked with silver whorls the forest's glass,
      Which scarce had caught again its imagery
      Ere from its bed the dusky tench leapt at the dragonfly.
          -Oscar Wilde
      --
      Bees are Not Optional