Calling Arachnophobia Entomologists

  • Robert Dugenske
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2013
      Calling Arachnophobia Entomologists Hello Everyone,
          In addition to working on identification of my collection of Alaskan bees I also do some work analyzing diet samples for Greater Prairie Chickens and encounter a fair number of spiders in the samples.  I recently was sent an email (via another listerv) asking for entomologists that have arachnophobia (of any fear threshold) to take a survey being conducted by Rick Vetter, an arachnologist at UC-Riverside.  It is short and painless (although I am mildly arachnophobic).  I was hoping to help him out a bit with his sample number and reach out to a larger group of entomologists aside from the ones who subscribe to an arachnid listerv.

      Here are the criteria for the survey:

      They must:

      1- consider themselves to be entomologists

      AND

      2-  work with whole-bodied insects that are alive at some point during the handling procedure (not just molecular folks or pesticide folks)

      AND

      3- they have to have negative feelings toward spiders whether if be mildly creeped out or disgusted all the way to full blown arachnophobia

      If you meet all three of these criteria and are willing to fill out a short survey, please contact Rick Vetter (rick.vetter@...) and put “Arachnophobia Study” in the subject line.  He will send you the survey.

      Thanks,

      Rob Dugenske

      --
      The bee's life is like a magic well: the more you draw from it, the more it fills with water.
      - Karl Von Frisch