Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Pollination of Lady's Slippers

  • Dana Visalli
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2013
      I poked around for information on Cypripediums and found this study:
      'Enhancing the trap of lady’s slippers: a new technique for discovering
      pollinators yields new data from Cypripedium parviflorum' by Case &
      Bradford. The Cypripediums are 'trap pollinators' with the only way out
      through a trap door in the back.

      The researchers cleverly closed the back door with a paper clip so they
      could ascertain who the pollinators are. Here's what they mention in the
      abstract: 'Ten species of hymenopteran visitors in the families
      Andrenidae, Apidae, Halictidae and Megachilidae were observed, with two
      female Andrena tridens and one male Adrena perplexa successfully removing
      pollen.' Andrenas seemed to be the star performers. Honeybees need not
      apply.

      I think we'll try this locally this summer; we have a lot of Cyprepedium
      montanum.

      Dana

      > I searched and Illinois Wildflower Society cites that it has been
      observed to be pollinated by Andrenoid Bees.