Re: Pollination of Lady's Slippers

  • Sheryl Pollock
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2013
      I searched and Illinois Wildflower Society cites that it has been observed to be pollinated by Andrenoid Bees.
    • Dana Visalli
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2013
        I poked around for information on Cypripediums and found this study:
        'Enhancing the trap of lady’s slippers: a new technique for discovering
        pollinators yields new data from Cypripedium parviflorum' by Case &
        Bradford. The Cypripediums are 'trap pollinators' with the only way out
        through a trap door in the back.

        The researchers cleverly closed the back door with a paper clip so they
        could ascertain who the pollinators are. Here's what they mention in the
        abstract: 'Ten species of hymenopteran visitors in the families
        Andrenidae, Apidae, Halictidae and Megachilidae were observed, with two
        female Andrena tridens and one male Adrena perplexa successfully removing
        pollen.' Andrenas seemed to be the star performers. Honeybees need not
        apply.

        I think we'll try this locally this summer; we have a lot of Cyprepedium
        montanum.

        Dana