Plants only visited by Native Bees

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013

      Ericaceae in general (not just blueberries) should not be discounted. I have many cultivars of rabbiteye and Southern Highbush as well as a lot of native germplasm. I have seen some of the native selections flower very early. Additionally, “Emerald” a University patented cultivar blooms a lot and in January at this location. The point being nothing else is available at this time, I have never seen honey bees out but not on it this early and honey bees at best do a poor job and do not like to visit them. The Southern Highbush does not require pollination but pollination probably affects berry size and thus yield. I have seen clusters of B. Impatiens Queens on it early when there was nothing else. I also know other native bees can buzz them.  Queen survival at this point is very limited. So, these resources are probably crucial.

      There may be some more northern dewberries fitting the bill

      T. Charles Riddle

      Biologist

      University of Florida

      NFREC Quincy,FL