Osmia rufa (Linnaeus)

  • Eugene J. Scarpulla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013

      I happened upon this 15 February 2012 news release that might be of interest regarding Osmia rufa (Linnaeus).

      “Port of Norfolk CBP Intercepts First in the Nation Pest”

      http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/local/2012_news_releases/february_2012/02152012_4.xml

      Gene

      Gene Scarpulla

      Editor, The Maryland Entomologist & the Phaëton

      Bowie, Maryland

      ejscarp@...

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        Nice to know those folks have no clue what they are doing.  The mites on an Osmia (presumably a Chaetodactylus) might be bad news for some US Osmia but would have no effect on Apis.

        best

        Jack

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013

          I agree Jack, no harm whatsoever to apis.  It would be nice to see research conducted on chaetodactylus. The Orchard Bee Association is concerned about this pest.  If left unchecked, it is reintroduced to the fields.  Within a season or two, the mites wipe out the entire colony of nesting bees.  To understand its life cycle, pheromone preference, and anything else we can learn to prevent its negative effects on the solitary bees would be nice.

          Introducing new mites from the UK isn’t something we want either, so it’s nice to have our US Customs fumigating.

          Dave Hunter

          cid:428334615@02052011-35DF

          O. 425.949.7954

          C. 206.851.1263