Re: What Plants are ONLY pollinated by native bees and not by honeyb

  • Elaine Evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2013
      Sounds like an interesting exhibit and a fun challenge.
      My favorite example of a plant only pollinated by a native due to morphological exclusion is the closed bottle gentian, Gentiana andrewsii. The petals never open broadly and it seems that only bumble bees are strong enough to force their way in to get the nectar. It's a great one to wow people with as it is very amusing to watch the bees disappear into the flower and then make their way out.

      -Elaine

      Elaine Evans
      PhD Student, Dept of Entomology
      University of Minnesota
      219 Hodson Hall, 1980 Folwell Ave
      Saint Paul MN 55108
      612-625-5764  evan0155@...
    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2013
        According to Darwin (Chuck) bumble bees (humble bees) were the primary pollinators of heartsease (viola tricolor) and red clover (Trifolium Pratense).    http://strathconabeekeepers.blogspot.ca/2012/12/charles-darwin-and-bumblebee-humble-bee.html       Bruce.
      • Harris, Mary A [NREM]
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
          Turtlehead (Chelone obliqua) is quite similar as bumble bees must push their way into the flowers and possibly fit the architecture such that they do provide pollination. Many small natives also visit, but I wonder if they pollinate this plant.

          Mary

          On Jan 5, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Elaine Evans wrote:

          Sounds like an interesting exhibit and a fun challenge.

          My favorite example of a plant only pollinated by a native due to morphological exclusion is the closed bottle gentian, Gentiana andrewsii. The petals never open broadly and it seems that only bumble bees are strong enough to force their way in to get the nectar. It's a great one to wow people with as it is very amusing to watch the bees disappear into the flower and then make their way out.

          -Elaine

          Elaine Evans
          PhD Student, Dept of Entomology
          University of Minnesota