Re: [beemonitoring] What Plants are ONLY pollinated by native bees and not by honeybees?

  • Julie Serences
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
      Interesting question, so I ask the very knowledgeable  botanist for our local California Native Plant Society - Glen Holstein. I wanted to know specifically what native plant species I could include as pollinated by  native bees in my general public native bee talks.  His reply maybe of interest:

      "About 6-8% of flowers worldwide are pollinated that way, with the percentage varying by region. Australia is particularly rich in vibratory pollinated flowers.  In California that kind of pollination characterizes the families Solanaceae and Ericaceae and the genus Dodecatheon (shooting stars).  Ericaceae may have the mostCalifornia buzz-pollinated species since it includes Arctostaphylos (manzanita).  Other California genera where it’s been recorded are Lupinus, Papaver, and Pedicularis but not necessarily in their California species."

      Contact: Glen Holstein at  "Glen Holstein" <holstein@...> for references

      Cheers,
      Julie

      Julie Serences
      Audubon  at Home Coordinator, Sacramento Audubon Society
      Xerces Partner in Pollinator Conservation
      Board Member Sacramento Valley CNPS

      Bees are not optional

      On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Droege, Sam <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      I have been working with the National Zoo here in Washington D.C. as a bee adviser.   As part of their new outdoor bee and pollinator exhibit they would like to have a set of plants that are only pollinated by native bees and would not be pollinated by honeybees.

      I can think of plants that are inefficiently pollinated by honeybees, but because of my weakness in pollination biology am not sure of what plants are ONLY pollinated by native bee species.

      Perhaps some of the orchids?  Super tiny flowers?  Native Wisterias?  I am grasping here....so help me out.

      Are any flowers actually always avoided by honeybees because of the composition of nectar/pollen as opposed to simply the flower's physical characteristics?

      I have copied Elaine Soulanille from the zoo this email so go ahead and copy her on replies.

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      I sink back upon the ground, expecting to die. A voice speaks out of my ear, You are not
      going to die, you are being changed into a zebra. You will have black and white stripes
      up and down your back and you will love people as you do not now. That is why you
      will be changed into a zebra that people will tame and exhibit in a zoo. You will be a
      favorite among children and you will love the children in return whom you do not love
      now. Zoo keepers will make a pet of you because of your round, sad eyes and musical
      bray, and you will love your keeper as you do not now. All is well, then, I tell myself
      silently, listening to the voice in my ear speak to me of my future. And what will happen
      to you, voice in my ear, I ask silently, and the answer comes at once: I will be your
      gentle, musical bray that will help you as a zebra all your days. I will mediate between
      the world and you, and I will learn to love you as a zebra whom I did not love as a
      human being.

          - David Ignatow

      --
      Bees are Not Optional