Fwd: Epeolus - Separation of FEMALE E. glabratus and E. zonatus

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      These are two sexy Epeolus species from Florida and Coastal Georgia that I have now added more guidance in Discoverlife guides

       E. glabratus vs E. zonatus

      E. glabratus - Thorax, mesepisternum, UPPER HALF, smooth throughout, like a piece of sheet metal with holes in it, heavily pitted with many pits overlapping, but many gaps among the pits that are smooth and mirror like, clearly reflecting light - Abdomen, T2 and T3, patch of appressed, prone, small white hairs form PATCHES only at the lateral sides of the segment - Abdomen, T1 and T2, depressed apical third along the rim, usually, but not always, dark BLACK or BROWN

       E. zonatus - Thorax, mesepisternum, UPPER HALF, rough, granular, as if covered in sand, pitting overlapping throughout and along with the heavy surface sculpture the entire surface is dull and does not reflect any light - Abdomen, T2 and T3, appressed, prone, small white hairs form distinct pale HAIR BANDS across almost the entire rim of the segments except for a brief interruptoin in the center - Abdomen, T1 and T2, depressed apical third along the rim,  usually, but not always, AMBER, the same color as the basal portion of each segment

      --
      Inline image 1

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      Out Here

      Dear D., I'm in a place where history
      can't reach, they say.  I'm out here on the plain
      where corn, chemically assisted, fills
      a hog so full it staggers to its trough.
      where chickens lay in unison and sing
      the song American.  Where "family"

      is a metaphor and "home" a way to sell.
      The cows out on Moore's Pike moo like boosters
      for the new shopping mall extension.
      A woods the size of Florida's in flames,
      and breeding's rocket blows apart.  Who knows,
      the world may come to Bloomington in time.

      Already, condos claw up every hill
      in sight.  The refugees arrive.  The world's
      in flight, D., grabbing what it can
      Before it's gone.
      It's gone, of course.  The grabbing's just a game.
      A hundred million on a side, no time-outs.
             -Roger Mitchell

      --
      Bees are Not Optional