Change Lasioglossum mitchelli to L. hitchensi

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
      Thanks Jason for the new name.  We need 100 more of you.

      If I have the interpretation correct we should all change any L. mitchelli in our databases to L. hitchensi Gibbs, 2012.  I have changed the records in my database and have updated the guide (which will be refreshed tomorrow).

      This is a common species that in the past I would have called L. admirandum, then it became L. atlanticum after Jason pointed out the correct id path, then L. mitchelli, and now L. hitchensi.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      "This isn't like naming your dog spot."
      Richard Mellvill, Secretary, International Commission
      on Zoological Nomenclature, on naming plants and animals.

      On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Jason Gibbs <dialictus@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Jason Gibbs included below]

      The attached will be of relevance to all those collecting Dialictus in the eastern US.

      Cheers,

      Jason

      --
      Jason Gibbs
      Post-Doctoral Associate

      --

      Bees are Not Optional

    • Jason Gibbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
        Yes, that is correct. For all those people who have L. mitchelli identified by me, they should all be switched to L. hitchensi. Identification issues aside, the following names all refer to the exact same species:

        Lasioglossum hitchensi Gibbs 2012= L. mitchelli Gibbs 2010 = L. atlanticum (Mitchell 1960) = Dialictus atlanticus Mitchell 1960

        Lasioglossum hitchensi should be used for reasons pointed out in the note.

        Jason

        On 12 December 2012 08:29, Droege, Sam <sdroege@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Nick Stewart
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
          Awesome, thanks so much! I'm on the cusp of submitting our first paper, our faunal survey of 2010 native apoidea in N GA apple orchards, from the first year's work of my study - and we had a few L. mitchelli (four, actually)! They've been revised to L. hitchensi!

          Thanks again,

                   MANAGING NATIVE POLLINATOR ABUNDANCE:
                             Efforts in Sustainable Native Pollination Services

                             Nicholas Glynn Stewart
             Project Designer          Lead Researcher          Primary Taxonomist
          1000 University Center Lane
          Lawrenceville, GA 30043