Looking for pollen bearing Osmia species

  • Haider Mare
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2012
      Dear Beemonitoring group,
      I am a PhD student at ETH Zürich, Switzerland. We are currently analyzing the pollen host spectra of a selected group of osmiine bees by microscopical analysis of the scopal pollen contents of pinned female specimens.
      We aim to analyze the pollen loads of 50 specimens, but we are still lacking specimens of the following species:
      Osmia ribifloris

      Osmia corniforns
      Osmia taurus

      Osmia emarginata
      Osmia excavata
      Osmia fedtschenkoi
      Osmia kohli
      Osmia longicornis
      Osmia maxillaris
      Osmia melanocephala
      Osmia mutensis
      Osmia nigrohirta
      Osmia pedicornis
      I would like to ask, whether anyone of you has any of these species in his/her collection, which I could borrow, particularly Osmia ribifloris (I know most of the listed species are palearctic but I thought I`d list them here as well, just in case).
      For pollen analysis we only need female specimens that bear pollen in their scopae. We then strip of this pollen carefully with a fine insect pin, thereby the pinned insects do not get harmed.
      If anyone of you would offer to lend me such specimens, I would be very happy. Please reply directly to me by email.

      Many thanks!
      Mare Haider

      Mare Haider
      Institute of Agricultural Sciences