RE: [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

  • Rykken, Jessica
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
      This is a pretty good article on the general topic of killing insects for research.

      Jessica Rykken
      Research Associate
      Museum of Comparative Zoology
      Harvard University
      26 Oxford St.
      Cambridge, MA 02138
      phone:  617-496-1221 or 413-665-0412
      fax:  617-495-5667

    • Kvisberglien Evie Christiansen
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012

        I have seen that the experienced field workers here use compressed CO2, the kind used for bicycles (used for filling flat tires). They are available in any decent size sports store and are in a handy size. It knocks the bumble bee out for long enough to identify it, and it seems unharmed when it takes off again.

        They simply put the bumble bee in a dram glass (with a few holes in the lid). Insert the tip of the CO2-container (small and handheld, fits in your pocket) and give the bumble bee a doze. I haven’t seen it tested on bees, but I suppose it works on them as well.

        The ones that can’t be identified in the field can be brought home for proper id.

        I plan to use this method next summer for my next project J

        Best regards
        Evie Christiansen Kvisberglien

        Norwegian Public Roads Administration

        Before printing, think about the environment

      • Jessica Beckham
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2012
          Dear Beemonitoring Group,

          I just wanted to send a thank you out for all of the thoughtful, informative responses that y'all provided!  What an intelligent group of people -- what I wouldn't give to have a cup of coffee with each of you!  I have truly enjoyed reading the responses and am still synthesizing the ideas, philosophies, and techniques.  I will certainly be trying out some of the suggested alternative methods as I work on my project.

          Additionally, I appreciate the lines of reasoning that were given regarding the collection and use of dead specimens.  Being able to explain the benefits of preserved specimens, as well as posing the logical argument that we each likely kill more insects with our cars than with bowls or nets, should prove useful in the (maybe inevitable?) event that I must explain to citizens why I am collecting and killing bees.

          And as for the question that came up a couple of times regarding whether bees in my area are truly declining -- the truth is that we don't actually know, as baseline data are not, to the best of our knowledge, available for our area.  (If someone knows differently, please let me know!)

          Thank you all so much.

          Sincerely,
          Jessica Beckham

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2012
            RE knocking bees out temporarily for ID......I remember some studies from the 90s that found increased larval ejection in bumble bee colonies following CO2 narcosis of workers. I haven't looked into this lately to know if people figured out all of what was going on there, but I've been avoiding its use to be on the safe side.
            -Elaine

            Elaine Evans
            PhD Student, Dept of Entomology
            University of Minnesota