Re: [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012

      I couldn't agree more with Virginia's recent post on the value of collecting the voulcher specimens.  There are some bees I could probably ID if they were live and bouncing around in a plastic vial or even chilled.  But I wouldn't bet the ranch on those IDs.  A diversity study is only as good as the accuracy of the species ID.  I send specimens to studbnts working on genera revisions, Bombus specimens to a student here study parasites.

      Are you certain that the native bees that are currently using urban gardens in Denton, Texas have limited populations?  Another thing to consider is how many gardens are there in Denton that support native bees, how many bees are you sampling over how long.  Just exactly how many bees across the landscape will you eventually be removing?  On a per garden basis, it probably isn't that many.

      Jessica Beckham <jessbeck47@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      11/08/2012 09:42 AM

      Please respond to
      Jessica Beckham <jessbeck47@...>

      "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

      Hello All,

      I am a PhD student who is developing a project to assess bee pollinator diversity in urban gardens in my area (Denton, Texas).  I understand that the best methods for assessing bee diversity involve collection of bees via hand netting and bowl traps, especially for a novice at bee identification like myself.  However, I am wondering if there are any accepted no-kill methods for assessing bee diversity. The reason is that, although I have had multiple local urban gardeners and homeowners express interest in my project, some are hesitant to participate because they realize that bees are important resources and they do not want to help reduce the already limited populations.  To an extent I can see this point and am thrilled that citizens are aware of the situation that our pollinators are facing.  I thought I would address this group to see if anyone has used/knows of methodology for assessing bee diversity without killing bees.  Furthermore, has anyone dealt with similar experiences?

      Thanks in advance!

      Jessica Beckham
      Ph.D Student
      University of North Texas, Institute of Applied Science

    • Rykken, Jessica
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
        This is a pretty good article on the general topic of killing insects for research.

        Jessica Rykken
        Research Associate
        Museum of Comparative Zoology
        Harvard University
        26 Oxford St.
        Cambridge, MA 02138
        phone:  617-496-1221 or 413-665-0412
        fax:  617-495-5667

      • Kvisberglien Evie Christiansen
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012

          I have seen that the experienced field workers here use compressed CO2, the kind used for bicycles (used for filling flat tires). They are available in any decent size sports store and are in a handy size. It knocks the bumble bee out for long enough to identify it, and it seems unharmed when it takes off again.

          They simply put the bumble bee in a dram glass (with a few holes in the lid). Insert the tip of the CO2-container (small and handheld, fits in your pocket) and give the bumble bee a doze. I haven’t seen it tested on bees, but I suppose it works on them as well.

          The ones that can’t be identified in the field can be brought home for proper id.

          I plan to use this method next summer for my next project J

          Best regards
          Evie Christiansen Kvisberglien

          Norwegian Public Roads Administration

          Before printing, think about the environment

        • Jessica Beckham
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2012
            Dear Beemonitoring Group,

            I just wanted to send a thank you out for all of the thoughtful, informative responses that y'all provided!  What an intelligent group of people -- what I wouldn't give to have a cup of coffee with each of you!  I have truly enjoyed reading the responses and am still synthesizing the ideas, philosophies, and techniques.  I will certainly be trying out some of the suggested alternative methods as I work on my project.

            Additionally, I appreciate the lines of reasoning that were given regarding the collection and use of dead specimens.  Being able to explain the benefits of preserved specimens, as well as posing the logical argument that we each likely kill more insects with our cars than with bowls or nets, should prove useful in the (maybe inevitable?) event that I must explain to citizens why I am collecting and killing bees.

            And as for the question that came up a couple of times regarding whether bees in my area are truly declining -- the truth is that we don't actually know, as baseline data are not, to the best of our knowledge, available for our area.  (If someone knows differently, please let me know!)

            Thank you all so much.

            Sincerely,
            Jessica Beckham

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2012
              RE knocking bees out temporarily for ID......I remember some studies from the 90s that found increased larval ejection in bumble bee colonies following CO2 narcosis of workers. I haven't looked into this lately to know if people figured out all of what was going on there, but I've been avoiding its use to be on the safe side.
              -Elaine

              Elaine Evans
              PhD Student, Dept of Entomology
              University of Minnesota