Free Native Bee Identification Training Available

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2006

      USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab
      Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
      Beltsville, MD

      Open Lab Dates for Those Interested in Learning to Identify Eastern North American Bees to Species

      There is a great need to inventory and monitor native bees throughout their range.  Our lab plans to sponsor the creation of monitoring programs and baseline inventories for bees but prior to the start of those surveys we feel that we need to build a capacity among other institutions and individuals to take on the task of identifying the bees resulting from those surveys.  Consequently, we will open our lab on the dates listed below to anyone interested in learning to identify bees.

      Our priority will be to train those who will most likely go on to help with such surveys, whether for pay or as part of another program.  Learning to identify bees requires a commitment to hours of microscope work and in no way will attending our workshops and open labs alone will be sufficient to becoming skilled at that art.  Consequently, there is an expectation that those interested in learning bee identification will have access to a dissecting microscope at home or at their work.  That said, novices and volunteers are always welcome as we all have to start somewhere but may be bumped from lab microscopes and computers depending on schedules.  Additionally, volunteers are needed to help with the processing, curation and databasing of the native bees that are collected by the lab outside of the dates listed below.

      The open dates are as follows:

      2006
      December 7th

      2007
      January 18th
      February 15th
      March 15th
      April 19th
      May 17th
      June 14th

      Times will be 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

      During the week of, April 16 – 20th, we will host a week long intensive workshop on bee species identification.  This workshop will be free with participants expected to pay for their food and lodging using local establishments.

      Bee Identification keys, guides, and information are available at:

      http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Insecta/Hymenoptera/Apoidea/

      For more information contact Sam Droege

      301-497-5840
      sdroege@...

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The Plover and the Clover can be told
          apart with ease,
      By paying close attention to the
          habits of the Bees,
      For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
          can be in clover,
      While ety-molo-gists concur, there
          is no B in Plover.
         -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover

    • Michael Feil
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2006
        Sam - How can I help?

        Mike Feil