Searching for Pennsylvania Bees

  • PDA Bee Program
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hello Fellow Bee People:

      I have been working on databasing the native bees of Pennsylvania since June 2007 and have visited many collections in the process (8,000 specimens and counting!).  I have also been on this listserv for some time, now, and only just thought of merging the two!  I am hoping some of you are attached to collections that may be able to send specimen records of your PA bees to be used in our distribution database.  I am looking for all information from the specimen: location, date, collector, method, host, gender, determiner, and any other information attached to the specimen (including any specimens representing a species at any level of type).  I have already visited (or will be soon) some of the major collections in the region - the Academy in Philadelphia, the Carnegie in Pittsburgh (in process), the U.S. National Museum, Penn State, etc. - and have recieved some info from John Ascher at the American Museum.  If any of you are willing to help, please email records (I have attached a blank of our Excel worksheet) or send specimens to:

      Rick Donovall
      Pennsylvania Dept. of Ag.
      Rm. 111, Entomology - Apiary Sect.
      2301 N. Cameron St.