Re: Any triungulin larvae on your bees?

  • Nick Stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2012
      Absolutely. What should I be looking for? What taxa are the most common hosts for Meloe? I'll keep an eye out. Are they Strepsiptera?

      MANAGING NATIVE POLLINATOR ABUNDANCE:
      Efforts in Sustainable Native Pollination Services

      Nicholas Glynn Stewart
         Project Designer, Lead Researcher, Primary Taxonomist
      1000 University Center Lane
      Lawrenceville, GA 30043

      On Nov 6, 2012, at 2:48 PM, Leslie Saul <lsaulgershenz@...> wrote:

      Hi Nicholas,

      I work on nest parasites of bees.  I was reading your email to the list and one of the parasites Meloe niger spans all the way across the US.  The host bees in the west are better known than those in the eastern US.  If you happen to notice any triungulin larvae on any of the bees would you let me know or better yet send  me a specimen so that I can identify it. I am doing molecular work on Meloe now as well as chemical work on their pheromone.

      Some of M. niger's hosts are Nomia, Anthophora, Colletes but there may be others.

      Many thanks!!!

      Leslie

      Leslie Saul-Gershenz

      University of California, Davis