Conservation status assessments for northeastern Bombus

  • Matthew Schlesinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
      Dear colleagues,

      I write on behalf of NatureServe to seek assistance for a project we
      (NatureServe and 5 northeastern US natural heritage programs) are
      working on to assess the state-level conservation status (S-rank) of
      bumble bees in five northeastern U.S. states. As you know, these
      conservation status assessments are widely used by federal and state
      government agencies and other conservation practitioners.

      The project consists of working with the natural heritage programs in
      Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and New York to develop
      state bumble bee lists and to complete the state assessments for these
      species. These assessments are only as good as the information that
      goes into them. Can you help us with recent monitoring information or
      other sources of information about distribution, population, trend, and
      habitat, and/or can you point us to other people who do? Also, we’d
      like to know about any unpublished or recently published reports
      (written by you or others) that might not have come to our attention.
      We’ll share this information with the heritage zoologists of the
      corresponding states so they can follow up on leads and compile data to
      support their assessments.

      We’re excited to be able to add bumble bees to the list of
      invertebrate groups that these state heritage programs are tracking, and
      the potential conservation benefits this may bring. Thanks in advance
      for your help.

      Please reply to me offline: mdschles@....

      Cheers,
      Matt

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Matthew D. Schlesinger, Ph.D.
      Chief Zoologist
      New York Natural Heritage Program
      625 Broadway, 5th Floor
      Albany, NY 12233-4757
      office: (518) 402-8939
      NEW CELL: (518) 478-5261
      fax: (518) 402-8925
      mdschles@...
      www.nynhp.org
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Eric Mader
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
        Hi folks,

        Does anyone know of a simple way to query DiscoverLife for state-level species checklists?

        It's pretty clear that you can do it for whole countries, and parts of states in some cases (e.g. Molokai). It would be really helpful  if there was some easy way to create quick state-level checklists.

         Any thoughts?

        Thanks!

        -E.
        ---
        Eric Mӓder
        - Assistant Pollinator Program Director, The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
        - Assistant Professor of Extension, University of Minnesota Department of Entomology
        - USDA-NRCS Technical Service Provider, TSP-10-6572

        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

        628 NE Broadway Suite 200, Portland, OR 97232, USA

        Tel: (503) 232-6639
        Cell: (503) 989-3649
        (日本語でどうぞ)

        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work, please visit www.xerces.org.
      • Nicholas Stewart
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013

          I second this assertion. I asked for a similar thing couple years back, but I understand how busy Dr. Pickering, Sam and the DL team are!

          If anyone knows a good way to compile species lists for states - even better, regions - I too am in the market.

          *** From my Android Mobile ***
          _________________________________
                nick.s2art@...
          _________________________________
                  GA Native Pollinator
            Assessment & Bio-Inventory

          Georgia Native Pollinator Lab,
                              A-1300
          1000 University Centre Dr.
          Lawrenceville, GA 30043

          On Feb 6, 2013 4:33 PM, "Eric Mader" <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Brian Dykstra
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
            Dear All,
            I am searching for drawings or photographs of Hoplitis papaveris (Megachilidae), the upholsterer bee, which utilizes primarily Papaver petals in nest cell building.  This bee is native to Europe and Asia.  Thanks in advance!
            Brian Dykstra