Re: N GA Native Pollinator Assessment & Bio-Inventory

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
      I surely do - hundreds. Melissodes specifically, or are you interested in Eucerines? I've got plenty of both. Most are already ID'd, but I'd LOVE a second look at them to verify some of the trickier specimens.

      Nick Stewart

      On Monday, November 5, 2012, Karen W. Wright wrote:
      Nick, do you get any Melissodes?  I am working on a phylogeny of the genus
      and would love some specimens from your region.  I could do or confirm
      ID's as well.  Karen Wright

      --
      *

      *
      **
      **
      **
      *MANAGING NATIVE POLLINATOR ABUNDANCE:*
      **
      *Efforts in Sustainable Native Pollination Services *
      *
      *
      Nicholas Glynn Stewart
       *
      ***
      * *
      *   Project Designer,** Lead Researcher, **Primary Taxonomist**
      *
      **
       nick.s2art@...*                               (404) 784-6236*
      * **
      *

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
        Hello Rufus,

        I'm very interested!

        We're just wrapping up a couple SARE grants, & are planning to apply for the USDA/AFRI grant due Feb. Is this what you are referring to? It seems, through the grant synopsis, that a couple of the sub-categories relate to my work directly. If you have any insights into this grant, or other sources of funding which might be applicable, I'm eager to get as much information as possible.

        Per collaboration, I'm very interested in working with &/or touching base with any studies either regionally related or in line with my agricultural/entomological focuses. Also, any phenological studies, especially focused on the earlier springs we in the East have experienced the past couple years, are of special interest to me. We've found some very intriguing trends - such as the diversity/abundances of early vernal taxa (Osmia particularly, but also Bombus, Andrena, Colletes, Anthophora, Xylocopa, etc) between 'traditional' blooms & these exceptionally warm/premature blooms of 2011/12 - which I'd love to compare against similar studies.

        Feel free to contact me personally - e-mail tends to be best!

        On Monday, November 5, 2012, Isaacs, Rufus wrote:

        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for forging the linkages. Note that we have USDA funding, not FDA (although it would make sense for another food agency to be involved). I’m hoping to chat with Nick about his studies soon to see if there are some ways we might coordinate our efforts.

        Thanks,

        Rufus

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012

          Hi Nick and Rufus,

          I am a collaborator on an SCRI grant led by Anne Averill of UMass which is also focusing on crop pollination – I am working on pumpkin/squash, Anne on cranberry in Mass, Frank Drummond on lowbush blueberry in Maine, and Brian Drayton on apple in NY.  It would be good for us to be in touch with your groups, too.

          Kim Stoner

          Ct Agricultural Experiment Station