Literature on methods of primary pollinator determination in rare plant populations

  • pmoore17
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hello All,

      I am beginning my first research project of Graduate school and I need your help finding a study method.

      My project is to determine what are the primary pollinators of an endangered species in an isolated population. The plant, Ruth's golden aster is a low growing herbaceous perennial that grows on boulders along two rivers in clumped communities.

      My plan is to capture (aerial net or aspirator) all visitors of a subsection of this species, then identify the insects and qualitatively measure their pollen load.

      I am looking for a methodology that can be applied to this study for delineating the population into study units and how to allocate time per plot for observation and sampling of visitors. Incite as to whether sweep net sampling verses visual observation then capture is more valid or what statistical data like diversity indices or comparisons between populations are most important would be helpful.

      Thanks,

      Philip Moore

      The University of Tennessee