references for pollinator diversity/seed set effects

  • Berry Brosi
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2012

      hi all,

      I got several requests to share the papers I heard about on the beemonitoring listserve related to pollinator diversity (not abundance) driving seed set in plants.  Apparently there are not many papers finding such a result.  thanks to all of those who replied with helpful suggestions.  Jim Cane rightly pointed out that there can be negative relationships between diversity and seed set as well, particularly in plants with more specialized pollination requirements.

      Below are the papers I know of (in terms of positive relationships), grouped roughly:

      functional-group differences driving greater pollination, native plants:
      Fontaine, C., Dajoz, I., Meriguet, J. & Loreau, M. Functional diversity of plant-pollinator interaction webs enhances the persistence of plant communities. PLoS Biol 4, e1 (2006).

      functional-group differences driving greater pollination, crops:
      Hoehn, P., Tscharntke, T., Tylianakis, J. M. & Steffan-Dewenter, I. Functional group diversity of bee pollinators increases crop yield. P R Soc B 275, 2283–2291 (2008).

      diversity driving greater crop pollination:
      Klein, A., Steffan-Dewenter, I. & Tscharntke, T. Fruit set of highland coffee increases with the diversity of pollinating bees. P R Soc B 270, 955–961 (2003).
      Greenleaf, S. & Kremen, C. Wild bees enhance honey bees' pollination of hybrid sunflower. PNAS 103, 13890–13895 (2006).

      diversity driving greater pollination, native plants:
      Slagle, M. W. & Hendrix, S. D. Reproduction of Amorpha canescens (Fabaceae) and diversity of its bee community in a fragmented landscape. Oecologia 161, 813–823 (2009).

      cheers,
      Berry

      Berry J. Brosi, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor