Now Hiring: Post-doc for Native Bee Research

  • jason graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2012

    Position: Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Integrated Crop Pollination

    Date Available: immediately

    Location: Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory

    Department of Entomology & Nematology

    Bldg. 970, Steinmetz Hall

    Natural Area Dr.

    University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32611-0629 http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honeybee/index.shtml

    Appointment: The position is full-time, one year, fixed term, additional funding for up to 5 years contingent upon the availability of federal grant funding. Inquire for details.

    Pay Rate: $37,000 - $38,000 starting salary (up to 5 years funding is anticipated)

    Qualifications: PhD in entomology, ecology, or a related field. Preference will be given to applicants with prior experience working with native bees or pollination biology. Experience in pollination ecology, landscape ecology, bee/plant taxonomy, blueberry/cucurbit culture, and/or GIS /modeling is welcome but not essential. Applicant must have demonstrable experience in collecting and analyzing field data and with managing large field projects, including personnel employed to assist with the project. Good writing skills and statistical knowledge are essential.

    Position Description: We seek to appoint a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to coordinate the development and delivery of context-specific Integrated Crop Pollination (ICP) recommendations on how to most effectively and economically deliver diversified sources of pollination to specialty crops. The successful candidate will lead a research program tasked with the following objectives:

    1) Determine the value of managed and non-managed bees for pollination of blueberries and watermelons in Florida, including identifying factors affecting bee abundance.

    2) Evaluate farm and habitat management practices for enhancing pollination of blueberries and watermelons.

    3) Develop and test alternative managed bees for blueberry and watermelon pollination.

    4) Demonstrate and deliver Integrated Crop Pollination strategies to growers of Florida specialty crops.

    The candidate must be able to integrate successfully into a laboratory employing students, technicians, and post docs with varied interests. Furthermore, the candidate must be able to work with bees (therefore, cannot be allergic to bee stings) and under inclement conditions (such as

    hot, humid, rainy, or cold weather). Quarterly and thorough yearly project reports must be generated by the successful applicant. The candidate will work with a national team of scientists, technicians, post docs, students, growers, and industry representatives. The candidate is expected to participate in knowledge transfer (extension) to relevant clientele groups and to mentor PhD students assigned to the project. Domestic travel is anticipated. The Postdoc will report directly to the project Principal Investigator, Dr. Jamie Ellis, and will receive general guidance and training from him and Dr. Jaret Daniels of the Florida Museum of Natural History. The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently and on their own initiative, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.

    Application: Applicants must submit applications to Ms. Jeanette Klopchin. A review of applications will begin 1 November 2012 and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. To be considered for this position, one must submit (1) a letter of application (cover letter), (2) a statement about ones career goals, (3) curriculum vitae, (4) pdf copies of two refereed publications (if publications are available), and (5) university transcripts (undergraduate and graduate school transcripts). (6) Furthermore, it is the candidate’s responsibility to arrange to have letters of recommendation sent to Ms. Klopchin from the individuals supplying the letters. Please submit completed applications to: jklopchin@.... Email submission of complete application is required. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please email Dr. Ellis (jdellis@...) with any questions.

    The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The selection process will be conducted in accord with the provisions of Florida's Government in the Sunshine' and Public Records Laws. Applications, resumes, and many other documents related to the search will be available for public inspection. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.

    Jason R. Graham
    Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
    Department of Entomology and Nematology
    University of Florida
    Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
    PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
    Phone (352) 519-9592
    Fax (352) 392-0190