Looking for B. Vosnesenskii and B. melanopygus in ethanol

  • Amber Sciligo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012
      Hi folks!

      I am a postdoc at UC Berkeley trying to round up 2 species of bumbles stored in ethanol for genetic analysis.

      The project in which I am involved specifically aims to map the full genomes for B. vosnesenskii and B. melanopygus. We would also like to identify gut parasites and pathogens as well
      Samples stored in ethanol are much more ideal that pinned samples (which are much easier to find) for these analyses.
      We're looking for samples from the West Coast region and we're hoping to find enough bees in areas that have historically been samples over time.  It would be fantastic if specimen have pollen (though not necessary) so we can also get an idea of plant availability in the sampled areas.

      The first step for me is to find databases for individual collections to get an idea of how many samples we have from where in order to identify the potential use of samples. So if any of you out there are interested in participating in this study and would like to offer databases, or specimens or would even just like to chat more about the project and potential participation then please feel free to contact me by email (amber.sciligo@... is the best email) or by phone: 530-521-4926.

      Many thanks!
      Amber Sciligo