Re: [beemonitoring] Eucerini

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2012
      While an EXCELLENT resource, that reference is now a bit taxanomically out-dated. The most obvious example, more-so than the Eucerini, is the use of the now defunct Family Anthophoridae - which for the most part have been nestled in the Apidae.

      Try "Bees of the World" by Michener, THE book on bees - As well as the online resources DiscoverLife.org & BugGuide.net, both excellent for ID, biogeography & up-to-date taxonomy.

      Good Luck!!

      On Friday, October 19, 2012, Dana Visalli wrote:

      I'm trying to put together a simple key (note oxymoron) to bee families and genera of my area--
      northern Washington State--just as an exercise in getting oriented.  I'm using 'The Bee Genera
      of North & Central America' as a guide.

      The questions of the moment: 1) Eucera is not in that book; why would that be?  Ross Arnett's
      'American Insects' 1985 edition says there is only one species of Eucera in NA.  DiscoverLife
      lists 9 species....but not E. frater, the one on a list I have for Central Washington. 2) What's
      going on with Eucera?

      3) How does one split Eucera from Melissodes?

      4) Forgive me if I've asked this before, but is there a bee species list extant for Washington State
      or for the Pacific Northwest?

      Thanks very much,

      Dana Visalli
      Twisp, WA

      --
      *

      *
      **
      **
      **
      *MANAGING NATIVE POLLINATOR ABUNDANCE:*
      **
      *Efforts in Sustainable Native Pollination Services *
      *
      *
      Nicholas Glynn Stewart
       *
      ***
      * *
      *   Project Designer,** Lead Researcher, **Primary Taxonomist**
      *
      **
       nick.s2art@...*                               (404) 784-6236*
      * **
      *
      *GA Native Pollinator Laboratory, A1300*
       **
      *1000 University Center Lane**
      *
      *Lawrenceville, GA 30043*
      **

    • Rob Irwin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012
      I did something similar for a bee workshop.  I wanted an easy key to Northern CA bee genera.  In addition to "Bees of the World", DiscoverLife, and BugGuide.net, I also relied on:

      Stephen, W P., G. E. Bohart, and P. F. Torchio. 1969. The Biology and External Morphology of Bees. ii + 140 pp. Corvallis: Agricultural Experiment Station, Oregon State University.

      available on: http://scholarsarchive.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/2080/THEBIOLOGYANDEXTERNALM.pdf?sequence=8

      It is also taxanomically out-dated, but it covers your area well.  I used the Hymenoptera Name Server
      http://atbi.biosci.ohio-state.edu/ to figure out the current/valid taxonomy for each bee genera given in Stephen et al 1969.  From this I put together a draft list of genera in northern California (see attached pdf).  For my study area, I pruned out several genera that have a more northerly distribution and a few from southern xeric regions.

      Hope your efforts pan out.

      Rob Irwin