Re: [beemonitoring] Agapostemon

  • Jelle Devalez
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
      This is a different bee... I would say this is a metallic Osmia.

      Jelle

      On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Dana Visalli <dana@...> wrote:

      I'd like to check in again with this Agapostemon:

      I found I had collected what is probably the same bee during the summer.

      Using 'Bees of Northwestern America: Agapostemon' which 'H' pointed out is a pdf online,
      it looks like it has to be texanus or femoratus, range-wise-- as several people on this list
      pointed out.

      Here are the scutums of the two from that source, 13 is femoratus and 14-15 is texanus:

      and here is the best shot I've been able to get of my bee, beginning photography 101:

      Which one is it?  Seems like femoratus.

      Thanks,

      Dana

    • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012

        Not an Osmia – look at the pollen on its legs?

        Barb

        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor

        SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

        Department of Biological Sciences

        Hampton University

        Hampton, VA  23668

        757-727-5283

        barbara.abraham@...

          This is a different bee... I would say this is a metallic Osmia.

          Jelle

          On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Dana Visalli <dana@...> wrote:

          I'd like to check in again with this Agapostemon:

          I found I had collected what is probably the same bee during the summer.

          Using 'Bees of Northwestern America: Agapostemon' which 'H' pointed out is a pdf online,

          it looks like it has to be texanus or femoratus, range-wise-- as several people on this list

          pointed out.

          Here are the scutums of the two from that source, 13 is femoratus and 14-15 is texanus:

          and here is the best shot I've been able to get of my bee, beginning photography 101:

          Which one is it?  Seems like femoratus.

          Thanks,

          Dana

          Jason Gibbs
          Post-Doctoral Associate
          Department of Entomology
          Cornell University
          3119 Comstock Hall
          Ithaca, New York, USA
          14853

        • Jack Neff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012

            The bee with the closeup of the mesosoma is clearly not an Agapostemon (the shape and sculpture of the propodeal area is all wrong).  Since their aren't supposed to be any augochlorines in the NW, a metallic Osmia is a good guess.  The Calochortus bee remains an Agapostemon

            best

            Jack

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
              The bee with the closeup of the mesosoma is a female Osmia (Melanosmia) sensu lato in the Chenosmia group.

              John S. Ascher, PhD
              Research Scientist
              Division of Invertebrate Zoology
              American Museum of Natural History
              Central Park W @ 79th St.
              New York, NY 10024-5192
              212-496-3447 work
              917-407-0378 cell

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012

                Many thanks to the advisory board; so many green metallic bees, so little time.
                I'll work on them over the winter.

                Dana