Every pollen grain tells a story

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2012
      Here is a link to nice, short documentary showing how pollen grains of different species differ and why they differ.  Just a word of warning, many of the Scanning Electron Micrograph photos in this video were made using acetolysized pollen grains,  This technique cleans the outer pollen (exine) but often destroys important features including the pore cap (operculum) and the droplets of oil (pollen coat) that allows some grains to adhere to each other or the exoskeleton of an insect.  I've worked extensively on Persoonia taken from bodies of native Australian bees (mostly Leioproctus and Exoneura) and I want to assure everyone that each of the three pores on that triangular grain wears a beautiful, spherical operculum.  Otherwise, I think your students or friends might be enchanted by this video.

      Peter Bernhardt