Philanthus

  • Diane Larson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012
      Are all Philanthus bee-predators? We captured several as-yet unidentified "morphospecies" of Philanthus on flowers at Badlands National Park, and all carried pollen on their bodies. I'm not quite sure what to do with them as we construct our pollination networks. Everything I've found (Dukas 2005 and references therein) suggest Philanthus can have a large impact on bees in the vicinity of thier aggregations.
      Thanks for any insight!
      Diane

      --
      **************************************
      Diane L. Larson

    • Matthias Buck
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012
        Diane:

        Yes, all Philanthus prey on bees, but some not exclusively. Sometimes wasps are taken such as Vespidae, Crabronidae, Ichneumonoidea, etc. Philanthus also like to visit flowers for adult feeding, and they are pollinators as well.

        Cheers,

                   Matthias

        On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Diane Larson <larso268@...> wrote:

        Are all Philanthus bee-predators? We captured several as-yet unidentified "morphospecies" of Philanthus on flowers at Badlands National Park, and all carried pollen on their bodies. I'm not quite sure what to do with them as we construct our pollination networks. Everything I've found (Dukas 2005 and references therein) suggest Philanthus can have a large impact on bees in the vicinity of thier aggregations.
        Thanks for any insight!
        Diane

        --
        Diane L. Larson
        Research Biologist
        USGS Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
        1561 Lindig St.
        St. Paul, MN  55108

        --
        Dr. Matthias Buck