Re: [beemonitoring] flies on the bee

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
      Dear Asif Sajjad,

      I looked at your photo.  I think that the flies are just after dead meat.  And were not originally associated with the bee.  Is this Apis dorsata?  Looks big to me.

      Anita Collins
      USDA, ARS retired
    • Thompson, Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2008

        Those flies are milichiids.

        The world authority for that family is Dr Irina Brake of the Natural History Museum, London .

        Cheers

        F. Christian Thompson

        Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA

        c/o Smithsonian Institution MRC-0169