Dented bee - pain?

  • PouleP
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2012

      Hi,

      a stupid question: do bees feel pain? This one below definitely knew about discomfort or that its body was out of synch… e… line. It was obviously in great distress and ?consciously?  trying to do something about it. (See below.) It knew I was there and did not bother to attack – was too busy.

      Do invertebrates with brains have consciousnous? I have read some articles on the internet. After yesterday I think they do, and do not always react with stinging.

      hen

      PS Thank you for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

      Yesterday I found a bee doing the most extraordinary exercises. It was contorting its legs, wings and abdomen in ways most peculiar – so weird in fact that it looked as if it was missing a leg or two or a wing or part of them. But its legs and wings were ok (clearly to be seen on some of the pictures). It was just moving them it in ways, grabbing and reaching in a very human fashion to get to the ‘itch’  even using the ones on the left side in trying to reach the trouble spot – like a human ‘bean’ trying to scratch an impossible spot on its back.

      Unfortunately I did not think of pushing the right button to make a video. Tcht.

      Anyway. When I looked at the pictures in the house, I noticed that it must have been trying to remove a dent from its side. So I took a pen to go help it, but when I got there again, it had flown away… at least it was not lying dead on the ground.  I think it had managed to flick out the dent that had made the edge stand up on the side, and popped it back… or it simply gave up trying. What do I know and hence my question.

      Or it has gone to the panelbeater…