flies on the bee

  • Asif Sajjad
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008

      Hello All!
                   I am PhD student at B. Z University Pakitan. Few days ago I came across a dead honey bee in a mustard crop with many small dipteran on it.  I guess these flies may be some parasitoids.
      Give some comments on it please.

      Asif Sajjad
      B. Z University, Multan,
      Pakistan.

    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
        Dear Asif Sajjad,

        I looked at your photo.  I think that the flies are just after dead meat.  And were not originally associated with the bee.  Is this Apis dorsata?  Looks big to me.

        Anita Collins
        USDA, ARS retired
      • Thompson, Chris
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2008

          Those flies are milichiids.

          The world authority for that family is Dr Irina Brake of the Natural History Museum, London .

          Cheers

          F. Christian Thompson

          Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA

          c/o Smithsonian Institution MRC-0169