Xylocopa appendiculata in US?

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hi, folks. Someone just sent me the attached photo for ID, from San
      Francisco. I believe (and maybe folks here can confirm) that this is
      X. appendiculata (possibly circumvolans; I don't know how to ID the
      subspecies). Note the yellow hair on the vertex, which is absent from
      X. virginica. Has this species been recorded previously from the US?
      I see no such records in DiscoverLife, but maybe people here would
      know of unpublished records.

      If this is a new introduction, is there anyone at USDA-APHIS who
      needs to be notified? Press release?

      Peace,