Re: [beemonitoring] RE: rescued mason bees and such

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
      Anita:  What you do with your rescued bees depends to a large extent on that they are.  It sounds like you are dealing with an anthophorine or possibly a emphorine rather than an oscine.  These often nest in clay walls or banks (clay chinking in a barn qualifies) .  Osmia have very sturdy cocoons (although those of other osmiines like Hoplitis are quite flimsy) and are easy to handle while Anthophora and Melitoma cocoons are rather flimsy (hard to tear but little structural support).  If at all possible one would want to keep the cells intact and perhaps bury them shallowly in sand, put them outside (for ambient temperatures) and protect them from the rain. If they are Osmia cocoons, you can just keep them loose in a container, again with ambient temperatures.  Most species are quite easy to handle and little problem as long as you don't have a Monodontomerus (or similar parasitoid) infestation.