RE: [beemonitoring] "common names" as a bridge (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 5, 2012
      Howdy,  As a former teacher and farmer and present beekeeper, gardener and native bee enthusiast I can tell you that the general public are immediately turned off by the use of scientific latin labeling for plants or bees.  I presently teach people about beekeeping and native bees in our 4 acre community garden (Bees).  The immediate goal might be for the majority of citizens to know the common name of at least 5 native bees.  I think a goal of all scientists should be to involve the support of the public (funding, support and long term survival of the species) and to do so it is essential to realize the proper language of communication that is receptive to the greatest audience.  Making the general public aware and supportive of native bees and their environment is relevant and should be a primary consideration.  Placate the dummies (me).  Bruce.

    • Brian Dykstra
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees