Re: common names (was: A presentation on Lithurgus crysurus)

  • johnplant3
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5 3:26 PM
      The native distribution Lithurgus chrysurus is not merely Mediterranean, and I hadn't heard of it from Japan.

      It is recorded from Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Morocco, Israel, Syria, Turkey, European Russia, Caucasus, Iran, and as of 1977 New Jersey from where it has spread to Pennsylvania.

      Roberts in 1978 wrote that it could have been introduced in a wooden packing crate shipped to New Jersey, but did not know from which country it could have originated (Roberts, The nesting biology, behavior and immature stages of Lithurge chrysurus, an adventitious wood-boring bee in New Jersey. J. Kansas Ent. Soc. 735-745).

      J. Plant