RE: [beemonitoring] "common names"

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 5, 2012

      Here’s a small view from the outside.

      What’s the intent?  Do we want gardeners aware of bees and be able to loosely identify them, or are we more concerned about their respect for the proper name?

      The common gardener seems to memorize names that are easy.  They have potentially too many things to consider memorizing, and a result, don’t?

      I speak to many garden groups, fruit clubs, etc. To most people, there are only 5 bees.  honey, bumble, all wasps, all hornets, and everything else.

      My plan of enlightenment to increase their knowledge is through slow introduction.  I’ve introduced mason bees a few years ago through “bee-mail”.  The message has slowly evolved into “social and solitary” bees.  This simply floors people, but they listen as I’m using the common bee names.  The message is slowly progressing to “spring & summer solitary bees.”

      The 3,500 or so followers to Bee-Mail are now learning about leafcutters, hornfaced, blue orchard, wool carder, californica, coloradensis, etc.  Later, we’re going to help them slowly learn what’s around them by state.  My company is small, but our message will hopefully be simple and loud.

      I believe that bees(pollinators) are slowly reaching the tipping point.  There has been enough press about CCD and other honey bee issues resulting with gardeners opening their eyes to a lack of bees in their yards.  …or potentially noticing that there are more than the 5 “bees” mentioned above.

      It’s tough to find out what this “quickly buzzing thing” in their yard is.  They try to take a picture, look for “bee identifying” or something simple, and quickly get stumped.  …or at least I’m hearing that from multiple people.  We’re collaborating with Univ of Florida (Jason Graham) and the Logan Bee lab to help people get some of their bees ID’d… and then teaching people over social media what they are.  (Facebook, twitter, pinterest, etc.)

      Bottom line, the easy to remember names will get remembered.  Tougher, scientific names won’t.  If there’s no easy name, the public will try to fill one in.  Andrena crataegi, since it pollinates apples in NY, might be considered the “big apple bee”.

      Dave Hunter

      O. 425.949.7954

      C. 206.851.1263

       Click below to hear the buzz!

      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees